Friday, March 28, 2014

Having Anxiety. Music can Help!

I personally have been dealing with social anxiety all my life and having music in my life has been a big contributor in coping with the anxiety. Music can be used as a distraction and is effective in people who can be easily absorbed in stressful activities (Nauert, R). It can create a calming place to go to when you are having anxiety attacks or just feeling overwhelmed. It can be a great coping mechanism for people you are facing anxiety every day.

2 Things that Helped Me:

1. Headphones:
Being in a big college full of unrecognizable people was really stressful for me. When I was feeling overwhelmed, I would bring out my headphones and play my favorite songs. Playing the songs distracted me from the people around me and calmed me down a lot. If you're feeling overwhelmed, take out your headphones and play your favorite songs to help distract you. Singing and dancing can also help with the distraction.

2. Doing Performing Arts:
Being in dance for 6 years really brought me out to talk to more people. Even though, I really didn't have any close friends from that experience, I did open up a bit. A few years later, I joined band and that was when my anxiety slowly decreased. Band really helped me to not be afraid to do silly things in front of people or to make friends. Playing music also helped me calm down when I was having a terrible day or just facing anxiety attacks. Joining the performing arts can be really helpful to you if you are facing anxiety. It relaxes the brain and can help greatly with memory.

Resources:

Nauert, R. (2011). Music soothes anxiety, reduces pain. Retrieved from 

         http://psychcentral.com/news/2011/12/23/music-soothes-anxiety-reduces-pain/32952.html

No comments:

Post a Comment